Summer, summer, summertime… Time to sit back and unwind. This cold dish favorite brings Will Smiths classic to mind every time. Always in wonder as to whether random songs float into the minds of all cooks while playing in the kitchen. As its popular during the holidays, shrimp cocktail translates well through all seasons, my favorite just happens to be the lazy days of summer.
- 2 pounds large or preferably jumbo shrimp
- 4 quarts water
- 1 halved lemon
- 3 dill leaves
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Old Bay
- Prepare shrimp: Hold each shrimp, leg side up, and peel shell from inside curve, leaving tail intact. To devein, gently run a paring knife along center of outside curve from head to tail, exposing vein. Remove vein; rinse shrimp.
- Cut lemon in half and add it to a large pot of water, add bay leaves, salt and brown sugar. Cover; bring to a boil. Add shrimp, cook for 3 minutes until bright pink and just cooked through.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer shrimp to an ice bath (h20 and ice). Once shrimp have cooled, remove from bath and keep cool until ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange shrimp along rim of an ice-filled bowl or check out fishseddy.com for the super cute poercelain bathtubs pictured. Dust a touch of old bay over top of shrimp, accompany with lime slices and sriracha cocktail sauce.
- For sriracha cocktail sauce, combine chili, ketchup, horseradish, fresh lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, and sriracha.